- This Acceptable Use Policy sets out how we permit you to use any of our Platforms. Your compliance with this Acceptable Use Policy is a condition of your use of the Platform.
- You are permitted to use the Platform as set out in the Terms and for the purpose of personal study.
- You must not use any part of the Content on the Platform for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
- If you print off, copy, download, share or repost any part of the Platform in breach of this Acceptable Use Policy, your right to use the Platform will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of Content on the Platform must always be acknowledged (except in respect of Third-Party Content).
- The content standards set out in this paragraph 4 (Content Standards) apply to any and all Contributions.
- The Content Standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The Content Standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.
- We will determine, in our discretion, whether a Contribution breaches the Content Standards.
A Contribution must:
- be accurate (where it states facts);
- be genuinely held (where it states opinions); and
- comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
A Contribution must not:
- contain misinformation that is likely to harm users, patients/service users, health and care workers, or the general public’s wellbeing, safety, trust and reputation, including the reputation of the NHS or any part of it. This could include false and misleading information relating to disease prevention and treatment, conspiracy theories, content that encourages discrimination, harassment or physical violence, content originating from misinformation campaigns, and content edited or manipulated in such a way as to constitute misinformation;
contain any content or link to any content:
- which is created for advertising, promotional or other commercial purposes, including links, logos and business names;
- which requires a subscription or payment to gain access to such content;
- in which the user has a commercial interest;
- which promotes a business name and/or logo;
- which contains a link to an app via iOS or Google Play; or
- which has as its purpose or effect the collection and sharing of personal data;
- be irrelevant to the purpose or aims of the Platform or while addressing relevant subject matter, contain an irrelevant, unsuitable or inappropriate slant (for example relating to potentially controversial opinions or beliefs of any kind intended to influence others);
- be defamatory of any person;
- be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory, or contain any profanity;
- bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate;
- encourage suicide, substance abuse, eating disorders or other acts of self-harm. Content related to self-harm for the purposes of therapy, education and the promotion of general wellbeing may be uploaded, but we reserve the right to make changes to the way in which it is accessed in order that users do not view it accidentally;
- feature sexual imagery purely intended to stimulate sexual arousal. Non-pornographic content relating to sexual health and related issues, surgical procedures and the results of surgical procedures, breastfeeding, therapy, education and the promotion of general wellbeing may be uploaded, but we reserve the right to make changes to the way in which it is accessed in order that users do not view it accidentally;
- include child sexual abuse material. Content relating to safeguarding which addresses the subject of child sexual abuse may be uploaded, but we reserve the right to make changes to the way in which it is accessed in order that users do not view it accidentally;
- incite or glorify violence including content designed principally for the purposes of causing reactions of shock or disgust;
- promote discrimination or discriminate in respect of the protected characteristics set out in the Equality Act 2010, being age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal content or activity, including but not limited to the encouragement, promotion, justification, praise or provision of aid to dangerous persons or organisations, including extremists, terrorists and terrorist organisations and those engaged in any form of criminal activity;
- be in contempt of court;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, bully, shame, degrade, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse;
- contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism;
- contain harmful material;
- give the impression that the Contribution emanates from us, if this is not the case; or
- disclose any third party’s confidential information, identity, personally identifiable information or personal data (including data concerning health).
- You acknowledge and accept that, when using the Platform and accessing the Content, some Content that has been uploaded by third parties may be factually inaccurate, or the topics addressed by the Content may be offensive, indecent, or objectionable in nature. We are not responsible (legally or otherwise) for any claim you may have in relation to the Content.
- When producing Content to upload to the Platform, we encourage you to implement NICE guideline recommendations and ensure that sources of evidence are valid (for example, by peer review).
When making any Contribution, you must where prompted include a sufficient description of the Content so that other users can understand the description, source, and age of the Content. For example, if Content has been quality assured, then the relevant information should be posted in the appropriate field. All metadata fields on the Platform must be completed appropriately before initiating upload. Including the correct information is important in order to help other users locate the Content (otherwise the Content may not appear in search results for others to select).
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Next review due: 01 Jun 2026